Activ8 Solar Energies’ Definitive Guide to the Home Renovation Incentive Scheme
In 2013, the Irish Government launched the Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) scheme which gives a Tax Credit of 13.5% off the price of home improvement works carried out on your home. And with Activ8 Solar Energies as a Qualifying Contractor, solar panel installations meet the home improvement criteria perfectly, making now the right time to take advantage of the scheme and save some money.
The Home Renovation Incentive Scheme allows for a VAT clawback of up to €4,050 on the 13.5% VAT rate applied to home renovation work costing between €5,000 and €30,000 so long as it was/is carried out between October 2013 and 2016, with the Irish government having extended the scheme twice now, due to its popularity and success.
Why has the HRI Scheme been so successful?
The Home Renovation Incentive Scheme has proven to be a huge success as it offers consumers an excellent opportunity to improve their homes while making savings on their tax liabilities, with the amount being given back to them in tax credits over a two-year period.
It only makes sense that this tax credit from the HRI Scheme further helps with long-term savings as customers then save money on their energy bills after they’ve installed solar panels in their home. To this end, customers are essentially making a double saving and in reducing expenditure in a steady and sustainable way.
Owner / occupiers of a main home or landlords of rental properties who pay Income Tax under PAYE or self-assessment and whose Local Property Tax and Household Charge obligations are up to date, are eligible. The homeowner or landlord must be on Revenue’s Local Property Tax Register as an owner or joint-owner of the main home or rental property.
How Activ8 Solar Energies Help:
In order for Activ8 Solar Energies to register the customer’s work details to HRI online, we need the local property tax (LPT) number of the property where the work is being carried out. Activ8 Solar Energies register the details of works to HRI online. After the work is completed and payments are made, we then enter payment details to HRI online.
What the Homeowner must Do:
After the work has been carried out and paid for the customer then needs to go onto the revenue site – www.revenue.ie
- Within the “my account” section: You will see – Home Renovation Incentive (HRI)
- Click on this link, where you will be brought to homeowners login for HRI.
- Here you put in the following personal details:
– Tax reference number (PPS number)
– Unique property ID (Local property tax number)
– Secure pin (Pin from your local property tax) This pin should be on a letter of some sort from the revenue in regards to payment of your local property tax.
- Then you just simply log in.
- Once logged in, you should see the works we have completed for you in term the price of the system and the date of payment.
- Once you are happy with these details there should be a button to press stating “CLAIM” or “CLAIM NOW” and you just simply press it and that is your claim completed.
Further Information on the HRI Scheme & SEAI grant: